i spent a lot of time last year reading and researching, exploring and finding inspiration. here are the books that kept me occupied.
i can’t praise julia cameron’s book enough. my muse had completely left me, and by committing to her 12-week journey in creative recovery, i was able to get reconnected to my source and start writing and drawing again.
Philosophy / Psychology / Self-Help
these books were useful to me as i dealt with my divorce, my grandmother’s death, moving across the country, and starting a new career path, all of which happened at about the same time
- Transitions: Making Sense of Life’s Changes – William Bridges
- The Right Questions: Ten Essential Questions to Guide You To An Extraordinary Life – Debbie Ford
- When Things Fall Apart: Heart Advice for Difficult Times – Pema Chodron
- Spiritual Divorce: Divorce as a Catalyst for an Extraordinary Life – Debbie Ford
Philosophy / Consciousness / Ethnobotany
part of this list was material from a transformation / creative evolution course i participated in during all of 2014, the rest were my own explorations into consciousness expansion tools.
- Pathways Through to Space – Franklin Merrell-Wolff
- The Edinburgh and Dore Lectures on Mental Science – Thomas Troward
- The Origin of Consciousness in the Breakdown of the Bicameral Mind – Julian Jaynes
- Finite and Infinite Games – James Carse
- The Ending of Time (Dialogue) – J. Krishnamurti & Dr. David Bohm
- The Philosophy of Freedom – Rudolf Steiner
- The Soul’s Code: In Search of Character and Calling – James Hillman
- Knowing Woman: A Feminine Psychology – Irene Claremont de Castillejo
- Pharmako/Gnosis: Plant Teachers and the Poison Path; Pharmako/Poeia: Power Plants, Poisons, and Herbcraft; Pharmako/Dynamis: Stimulating Plants, Potions, and Herbcraft
- Gene Keys: Unlocking the Higher Purpose in Your DNA – Richard Rudd
- The Tarot Handbook: Practical Applications of Ancient Visual Symbols – Angeles Arrien
Fashion / Style
some fun books on personal style
- Paris Street Style: A Guide to Effortless Chic – Isabelle Thomas & Frédérique Veysset
- I Love Your Style: How to Define and Refine Your Personal Style – Amanda Brooks
Health / Nutrition
only scratched the surface in this domain so far, but beginning to take more initiative in rebuilding my immune system and digestive support, and whatever else is causing fatigue and anxiety
- The Body Ecology Diet – Donna Gates
- The Liver & Gallbladder Miracle Cleanse – Andreas Moritz
- Plenty – Yotam Ottolenghi
Fiction / Graphic Novel
it wasn’t all serious. i got introduced to the world of comics and graphic novels, which has been inspiring my own storytelling ideas. and for anyone curious about how an alternative currency and economy could work, check out daemon and freedom.